Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hey Y'all


I will never be a fan of the American dictator, Lincoln. Occasionally something worthwhile fell from his mouth.  “I don't like that man. I must get to know him” Abe Lincoln.

The smile:

I worked for Island Restaurants for a few years. It isn’t exotic as it sounds. The island was Mud Island, a sandbar in the Mississippi River, located in downtown Memphis. The company contracted the food service in many places in the area. One of the places was the Orpheum Theater.

The holidays were a great time to be in the Orpheum. Prior to the show people were milling around.  Dressed in their Sunday best it was easy to feel the excitement in the air. Things would go smoothly most of time….

Pat was a great guy. He was the be all over all of the Orpheum world. I enjoyed walking around the lobby with him. One of the ushers ran up to us and breathlessly asked “Sir, would you please come help. We can’t get a gentleman to give up seats that aren’t his.”

Pat and I followed the usher to on to the floor. Half way to the stage we stopped. There laid a man across four seats. Impatiently two people stood waiting to get into their seats. I have to say I thought he was drunk .Who lays across four seats? Pat has always been a diplomatic yet authoritative figure.  He plainly stated “Sir, we need you to move”

The man wiggled a bit and grunted. Pat was never a man to take any crap. He kept his cool and said “SIR, please remove yourself from these seats.” The man grunted in reply.

Pat took a breath and realized this situation the gentleman may…not have all of his facilities. Pat asked “Sir, you are obviously intoxicated. Can you understand what I am saying?”

 “Yes….” Wheezed the man.

“Where are you from?” asked Pat in an effort to establish some common ground.

The man took in a deep breath and answered “The balcony”

 

The ponder:

Hey Y’all. Tonight my daughter and I were kidding about the way people like to imitate Southern people. You just can’t try to be West Tennessee. It’s who we are. She said you just have to get your country right. So tell me…I have traveled many places in the world. I can say I am Southern and people always seem to know what I mean. I appreciate that I have people all over the world reading this blog. Thank you. Tell me what makes Southern people…unique?

 

The Fudonshin Challenge:

 

 

                                 

Exercise
Reps/ Goal
Straight Punches
1410/ 2000
Knuckle Push-ups
710/ 2000
Olymipic sit-ups
710/ 2000
Squat kicks
635/ 2000
Front kicks
495/2000
Side kicks
370/2000
Back kicks
420/2000
Upper blocks
1020/2000
Downward blocks
1020/2000
Inward blocks
1020/2000
Outward blocks
1020/2000

 


1 comment: