Friday, February 6, 2015

Truth is in the eyes of the beholder


“All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we choose to distort it” Woody Allen, actor, director, comedian

 

The smile:

My first job when I left the Army was waiting tables in a river side restaurant in Memphis. It was also my first experience at working in a white table cloth establishment. It was intimidating in the beginning. It didn’t remain that way.

One busy summer afternoon nearly every table was occupied. I did my best to give superior service and attention to each customer. There was a table in my section which two women in their late fifties sat. They were enjoying conversation, people watching and a glass of wine or two. They were in no hurry. I didn’t mind. I’m a people person and if you sat at my table long enough, I was going to entertain you. The women were deep into their discussion when I sat a bowl of soup in front of each. Barely a nod my direction indicated the depth of their attention on the subject which they were engaged. I left to get them another bottle.

I returned to the table to realize both women were sitting quietly. I smiled and presented the libation. The woman to my left stopped me by pointing to her bowl and saying, “I believe I am losing my soup.” I sat the wine bottle on the table and leaned down to examine what was happening. There did appear to be a growing ring of wetness under her bowl, so I asked “Didn’t you order the vegetable stew?”

“Yes, “she answered unsure where I was going with the question.

“Well, “I said as I stood erect, “I’m guessing it has leeks in it.”

 

The ponder:

Change is not always what we want though we must accept it is inevitable. Life is not about the best person always winning. Winning is such the wrong term anyway. It is about remaining positive in the face of negativity, persevering and not accepting defeat. That is my truth.  

 

The Fudoshin Challenge:

I am waiting new direction from my sensai. New goals will be here soon and I will share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment