Monday, December 29, 2014

Now I lay me down to sleep


As the Dalai Lama said sleep is the best meditation. I could have meditated all afternoon today. Some days are just like that. There is something about sitting at your desk after a long weekend, no matter how relaxing. A big lunch and a long nap just seem to be the ticket.

 

The smile:

I’m an animal lover. I don’t want a zoo in my house like some people though I do enjoy playing fetch with our dog, Molly. I can also relax when I am at my friend’s house and one of her cats crawls up into my lap for a scratch. Also being from a neighborhood where I know many of the people that live around me, we tend to keep an eye on the occasional escapee.  That is why I wasn’t surprised one morning when I was leaving my house to find a beautiful, well kempt collie laying on my front porch. He obviously belonged to someone and he had been well taken treated. As I walked down the stairs to my sidewalk the collie lifted his head in acknowledgment but didn’t seem very interested in moving much more. I was in a hurry and so no immediate danger, so I keep going. I got into my car and went on with my business.  An hour later I returned and the dog was gone. I didn’t really give the occurance much more thought.

The next day just before noon there was a scratching at my front door. I opened the door to see the same dog looking expectantly up at me. Without malice or warning the dog nudged himself past me and into my house. I turned to see the dog lay down in front of my fireplace and drift off to sleep.  Yea, I know it is odd. He didn’t seem to be sick or anything. Just comfortable, so I went back to what I was doing. An hour later…the dog is scratching on the door to get out, which I accommodate. He disappears down the street without a sound.

The following day the same thing happens. The dog scratches at the door. I let him into the house. He lays down by the fireplace and goes to sleep. Now my interest is really piqued. I go about my business and an hour later as every day before the dog wakes in an hour. He scratches at the door to be allowed to go outside. This time as the dog trots away from my house I follow. The dog walks three houses from mine and scratches on the front door . The door opens and the dog goes inside the house.

I watch in wonder and decide I have to talk to the owner.  I approach the same door the dog just entered and knock. A woman answers the door holding a young child on one hip and a broom in the other hand. She has something mustard colored smeared down the front of her blouse and she looks exhausted. Another toddler is tugging on her pants leg and I can hear something akin to a circus meets monster truck rally behind her.

“I’m sorry to bother you. “ I tell her “I was wondering if that is your dog that you let into the house a few minutes ago. He has been coming to my house for the past few days, taking a nap and leaving.” It sounded kind of foolish now that I said it out loud and I felt myself blush a little.

The woman smiled and replied “Yes, I have 6 kids, 3 cats and a husband that won’t shut up or get off the couch. I’m sure the dog is just trying to catch up on some rest. Mind if  I come with him tomorrow?”

 

The ponder:

According to Jessica Payne in “The Benefit of Sleep” sleeping after learning something new will improve your ability to remember it effectively. If that is true, why don’t we have periods like we did in per-school and kindergarten where we take naps during the afternoon? Wouldn’t it make us better students and employees?


The physical challenge:

I did 100 push-ups, 100 shinai swings (bamboo sword) and 10 minute power nap.

Jump into the physical challenge whenever you like at the level that works for you. If you are beginning, you may want to do 4 sets of 25 push-ups to get your 100 done or maybe your goal will be 50 per day.

 I am getting ready to start the Ultimate Black Belt Challenge soon.  I will mark my progress here for everyone to help me track.  

No comments:

Post a Comment